OLDER ADULTS' PROGRAM
Garden of the Senses’ Older Adults' Program allows for participants to enjoy a beautiful and calming outdoor space to exercise their bodies and minds. This 1.5-hour program will connect participants to five different gardens that will use their senses of scent, sight, sound, taste and touch. We encourage participants to get close to the plants and gardens, each designed to be accessible by wheelchair, lower level seating areas, and the use of potted plants that we can bring to the participants.
In this program, participants will:
1. Tour the Garden of the Senses, using their five senses of scent, sight, sound, taste and touch to explore the garden up close.
2. Get their hands in the soil with comfortable table top planting under our beautiful gazebo. Each participant will take home their own plant.
3. While cooling off from the sun and enjoying light refreshments, we conduct one of three activities, based on need and interest:
- Presentation about the interesting life of Lucy Maud Montgomery and her time in Norval. We bet you'll learn things about her you never knew!
- Reminiscing activity using nature and natural objects, encouraging a lively discussion about past experiences.
- Sensory plant activities for participants with special needs and limited speech.
If there is extra time and interest, participants can help us to water and tend the gardens as needed on that day.
Light refreshments will be served.
Benefits to Older Adults:
- Enhancing participants’ self-worth by providing an opportunity to recall and recount their journey through life;
- Safe and accessible garden spaces that promote a sense of independence and ability;
- Improved mood;
- An enjoyable form of exercise;
- Increased levels of physical activity, mobility and flexibility using all motor skills;
- Improving endurance and strength;
- Reduction of stress levels and promotion of relaxation;
- Stimulation and interest in nature and the outdoors;
- Improved well-being as a result of social interaction; and
- A nature experience at the Garden of the Senses!
$145 (maximum 12 participants) for a 1.5-hour program. No HST.
There is no charge for staff, caregivers and assistants.
To book an Older Adults' Program tour:
The Frias Funds
Enhancing the Quality of Life for Seniors through Gardening & Outdoor Spaces
Funds for this initiative have been generously offered by the Frias Family. The goal is to enhance the lives of seniors and disabled adults in Halton by inviting them to a beautiful outdoor space where they can get their hands in the soil. It is our privilege at the Garden of the Senses to honour this donation and give back to seniors.