Older Adults Garden Herbs Program
In our Older Adults Garden Herbs Program, the participants explore the sensory gardens including the Woodland Garden and Waterfall Garden using the 5 senses of sight, smell, taste, hearing and touch, and engage in a lively discussion about the life of Lucy Maud Montgomery while enjoying some light refreshments under the shelter of our beautiful Gazebo. At the Edible Garden, we explore a selection of herbs, talking about how these herbs can be used, grown and harvested. Participants plant a herb to take home. As well there is the option to add to the program a therapeutic horticultural activity of your choice, e.g. scented sachets, fresh herbal tea, dried tea bouquets, herbal foot balms, herbal sock baths, herb sock stuffed Santa/snowman or edible terrarium. An activity can be custom designed for you. We are very flexible.
Garden Herbs Program Scheduling Information
- Programs run June through September (weather permitting).
- Programs are age and ability appropriate.
- Programs last 1.5 hours in length, and run twice a day in morning (10am to 11:30am) and afternoon (12:oopm to 1:30pm).
- The number of participants in a group can range from 20 to 29 individuals. At 30 or more we will split the group into two or more groups. We can accommodate up to 3 groups at a time. For special needs groups we recommend a maximum group size of 12.
Adults Garden Herbs Program
Book this Program
or call 289-270-5399
In This Program, You Will:
- Tour the sensory gardens using sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch to explore plants up close.
- In the Edible Garden, explore a selection of herbs: smell, taste, reminisce and discuss how herbs can be used, grown, and harvested.
- Plant a herb to take home, while enjoying light refreshments.
About the Garden & This Program:
- Ideal for older adults, active, or special needs
- Wheelchair accessible
- Variety of sitting areas & sheltered gazebo
- Calming waterfall
- Customization based on special needs
Optional Add-On Activity “Fun with Herbs”:
In this 30-60 minute arts and crafts activity, participants can create their own scented sachets, fresh herbal tea, dried tea bouquets, herbal foot balms, herbal sock baths, herb stuffed sock Santa/snowman, edible terrarium or a craft custom designed for you. Extra fee applies.
- $15 per participant, no HST.
- Minimum group charge $180.
- No charge for staff, assistants or volunteers
- The philosophy of the Garden is to engage older adults with nature in the Garden actively and passively, but this may not always be possible. A modified Garden Herbs Program can be carried out at your facility indoors, such as during inclement weather and/or during the period October to May. This indoor activity program can then be combined with the outdoor Garden Herbs Program at the Garden during the flower blooming months of June to September.
- If you have questions, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org